Saturday, July 14, 2012

Trying To Engage British Methodists on Human Rights

geoffff


Or should I say Clerical Antizionists?

Anyway don't waste your time

I left this on this blog a few hours ago

G’day Richard Hall,

Will you try please to help me with this horrible on going human rights violation on a massive scale I am trying in our feeble human way to do something about?

I know this is a strange appeal from the other side of the world but I have looked at your blog and thought that in some sort of way you could do something..


Please help with perhaps one of the great moral dilemmas of our day. The surrender of a whole nation to …

....

The reply?  

You guessed it.

Here it is






geoffff 07.14.12 at 8:52 am






[deleted by admin]
Forget it, “geoffff”

UPDATE!


  1. I'm sorry Richard that you feel that way. I'm an Aussie!
    I know the songs are pretty weak but the game is sufferable.

    If you want a serious and informed public discussion on this subject then you are welcome at my blog. In any event I'm about to post this there.
    ReplyDelete
  2. And this


    Also I forgot to mention I'm a Woody Guthrie fan from way back! There's a point of contact.

    Anyway last chance Richard. Do you want a civil discussion on these core moral subjects that has attracted so much of the attention of you and your denomination? Or not?
    ReplyDeleted
And since?

Well nothing really.


Anyway I'm still here if  they want to say something or hear another point of view. I doubt it though. My guess is that these people would prefer to regard these attempts at dialogue as something else.


FURTHER UPDATE!

British Humour!

Dennis Levene 07.14.12 at 12:16 pm
Hope you’ve got Happy Joyous Hanukkah on JMG Records (2007)
4
Richard 07.14.12 at 12:34 pm
I’m afraid I don’t.
5
Kim 07.14.12 at 1:47 pm
In a fit of pedagogical masochism, I visited geofffff’s — sorry, geofff’s — website, where I discovered a laudatory reference to Melanie Phillips. I guess this is the same Mad Mel who wrote the Islamophilic Londonistan, sensitively likens gay relationships to bestiality, learnedly denies anthropogenic climate change, and lovingly longs to see the back of Rowan Williams. I think we’re at the orc-end of the blogosphere here, folks.
6
Richard 07.14.12 at 1:58 pm
I don’t think there’s much to be gained by engaging. Life is too short.
7
Kim 07.14.12 at 2:19 pm
That’s what gets me, Richard: some folk come here not to engage but to vandalise the place. Heigh-ho — it’s a pity, really.
8
Richard 07.14.12 at 4:56 pm
It is a pity. I’ll talk to anyone, no matter how much I disagree with them, if a measure of civility and goodwill can be assumed. But that would be a very unsafe assumption in this instance.
A measure of civility?

It is a pity.  He would like to engage. 

But I'm an orc . Therefore I might say something rude. 


LAST UPDATE 


6 comments:

  1. What strikes me as most obvious is the attempt to delegitimize you merely because there is a reference to Melanie Phillips on your blog.

    This is the way that ideologues function, because it spares them from having to actually think about what you are saying. Instead of considering ideas they can just say, "Oh, well, you have a reference to this person or that other person so therefore we don't need to bother even considering your point of view."

    I see this constantly on places like Daily Kos.

    It's an intellectually dishonest mode of non-argumentation.

    Although, I have to say, it is unclear to me, Geoffff, what the heart of the dispute is.

    Also, I would recommend that you consider writing your pieces in HTML mode. It comes out much, much cleaner, if you know what I mean. FYI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I have to admit, I don't know much about Melanie Phillips, other than what I just read on her wiki page. Seems she's taken some positions that some people consider controversial.

      But I see a huge disconnect in your criticism of the way Geoffff was treated, because of a reference to Melanie Phillips on his blog, and they way you have treated others because they participate at blogs that reference BDS, even though their participation has nothing whatsoever to do with BDS.

      Get that?

      Delete
    2. Furthermore, when you support a blog that supports BDS then you are supporting harm to the Jews of the Middle East.

      BDS delegitimizes and dehumanizes Jews just as surely as the Nazis did and you expect me to be OK with people who are allegedly friends who lend their name to venues that support such delegitization and dehumanization?

      Absurd.

      Delete
    3. You said it Michael:

      "This is the way that ideologues function, because it spares them from having to actually think about what you are saying. Instead of considering ideas they can just say, "Oh, well, you have a reference to this person or that other person so therefore we don't need to bother even considering your point of view"

      It's the same thing.

      Delete
    4. It's not even close to the same thing.

      Not only is it not in the same ballpark, it's not even the same sport.

      Geoffff was told that because somewhere on his blog he referenced Melanie Phillips that he was not worth talking to.

      I said no such thing about Ria. In fact, the very opposite was true. It was she who refused to dialogue with me.

      So, you are just flat out wrong.

      Furthermore, there is no comparison in the relative gravity of a reference to Melanie Philips to the supporting the dehumanization of the Jewish people of Israel via BDS.

      The former is as nothing.

      The latter can result in anything.

      With considerable respect, you are mistaken, Stuart.

      Delete