Friday, February 10, 2012

Volleyboy1 Accuses Political Enemies of Insanity

Michael

Over on Daily Kos "progressive Zionist," Volleyboy1, yet again accuses those who disagree with him on politics as being insane or deranged. It is probably the lowest form of political discourse to suggest that those who disagree are mentally ill. It is an illiberal form of bullying and is, in fact, what the Soviet Union did to dissidents. Dissidents in the Soviet Union were routinely labeled mentally deranged and shipped off to institutions.

Why someone who considers himself to be a "progressive," i.e., someone who allegedly stands for universal human rights, would stoop to this despicable tactic is not hard to understand (ends and means, after all) but it certainly cannot be respected. In fact, if the progressive movement ever stood for anything good, it stood for a sense of fair play. At its heart this is what the progressive movement was supposed to mean. But what are we to make of people who self-identify as "progressive," but who use bully-boy, authoritarian tactics in pursuing their political aims?

The heart of Volleyboy's diary is the charge that Rick Santorum is deranged for claiming that Obama is "doing absolutely nothing in a consequential way to make sure that they (Iran) do not get this weapon."

One may agree with this statement or not, but to suggest that Santorum is something akin to a rabid dog for making the claim is a failure of human decency.

After smearing Santorum as mentally ill, he then goes forward to suggest that what the former Pennsylvania Senator may really want is a regional war, for the purpose of crashing the U.S. economy, so that the Republicans can beat the Democrats in the November election.

Aside from the shear illogic of such a position, the malice of it is... I have no words... beyond comprehension.  Volleyboy1 is suggesting that Rick Santorum is such a foul human being that he wants war for the purpose of personal political gain.

I used to live in Pennsylvania and, you can be sure, I never voted for Rick Santorum, nor do I have any intention of advocating for Santorum if he gets the Republican nomination. Nonetheless, to suggest that the guy is both mentally ill and so heinous that he quite literally would like to see hundreds of thousands of people brutally murdered solely for his personal political gain speaks far more to the character and integrity of the individual making the charge than it does to the candidate, himself.

It's a shame that Volleyboy1 seems incapable of producing an argument that is not grounded in dragging others through the mud.

Nobody is perfect... G-d knows I am not... but this is just sad.

.

7 comments:

  1. I have long called people who oppose Israel's right to exist as any other nation "derangers".  I believe they are deranged.  Should I stop that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this post, and it saddens me, too.

    This has been my experience with this person. It is as bad as what one sees at reactionary sites, the demeaning of others because they dare to disagree. At least the latter do not profess to be progressive.

    There is also the matter of arbitrary censorship of other ideas.

    Going after Santorum is like going after low hanging fruit. To me, a progressive blog would look at things like this, about those who claim the mantle: progressives:

    BDS conference at Penn met my worst expectations

    http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/64227/bds-conference-at-penn-met-my-worst-expectations/ 

    FWIW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    I was thinking of cross-posting our conversation with Pro-Israel Bay Bloggers, but I want your permission.

    Are you OK with that.

    I just think that the topic is vital.

    What say you, good sir?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, let's do it.  I agree it is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny that you should make this whine:

    It's a shame that Volleyboy1 seems incapable of producing an argument that is not grounded in dragging others through the mud.

    When that is what you continually do.
    How? You ask... Oh, I don't know - how about like comparing me to a Soviet Commissar that sent folks off to the Gulag? How about like lying and distorting what I said.

    The heart of my diary/article was not about how Rick Santorum is deranged for saying that President Obama is not doing enough to stop Iran from getting a bomb... It is that Santorum claims that President Obama is HELPING Iran get a bomb. Now if you think that is not delusional then I don't know what to make of that.

    AND while you might not advocate for Santorum directly if he gets the nomination (which he won't), you would be helping him indirectly for trying to get people to vote against President Obama.

    Ask Gay Americans or Minority Americans how they feel about Rick Santorum sometime. That you are all up in arms about my picking on him is pretty freakin' sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hating GOPers and questioning their humanity is the default progressive position I think. Look at this recent dKos exchange:

     
    "I honestly cannot understand how any woman, black (55+ / 0-)
    or gay person could be on the GOP side. I honestly don't get it.

    "Time is for careful people, not passionate ones."
    "Life without emotions is like an engine without fuel."
    by roseeriter on Sat Feb 11, 2012 at 06:00:12 AM PST


      I don't either but there are always (34+ / 0-) opportunists, and those who have a colonized mentality.

    I'm just glad there aren't that many of them :)


    "If you're in a coalition and you're comfortable, you know it's not a broad enough coalition" Bernice Johnson Reagon
    by Denise Oliver Velez on Sat Feb 11, 2012 at 06:02:01 AM PST [ Parent ]


      I try to understand both sides of important issues (22+ / 0-) but this confounds my common sense to no end, it truly does.
     The GOP is anti-humanity IMHO.

    "Time is for careful people, not passionate ones."
    "Life without emotions is like an engine without fuel."
    by roseeriter on Sat Feb 11, 2012 at 06:08:30 AM PST"

    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/02/11/1063804/-CPAC-rappers-and-runaway-slaves?via=search

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still fairly amazed that they actually blamed Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin for the shooting in Tucson last year.

    It was just contemptible.

    ReplyDelete